Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Things I Need To Work Efficiently

Here’s the deal, kids.  My job title is IT Systems Administrator.  I work in a profession that is dominated by men.  More women are joining this field, but the majority of people in it are male.  So I like to think of it as ‘I do man’s work.’  I feel as though I have a manly side, so it’s perfect for me.  I love my job.  I get to sit behind a desk for large parts of it, but I also get to move around all over the building and mingle with, basically, everyone. 

People ask me what I do at work, but it’s hard to say, because I do so much.  It’s not limited to a few specific tasks.  I normally tell people that I fix things when they’re broken.  But that is so vague compared to what I actually do, and I can’t even explain it all in this blog.  To sum it up I work on anything electronic when something goes wrong or breaks.  This includes but is not limited to computers, printers, phones, headsets, disc duplicators, scanners, battery back-ups, etc.  I also setup and manage user accounts, manage our anti-virus software, run system updates, install software, manage all hardware, write code to test against some of our software, manage the IT storage room and supplies, and as of late I have also been helping another department communicate with our sales representatives to discuss some of our new software. 

Anyway, to get to the point I do so much and I go all over the LARGE building to do these things.  I go where the problems are.  Having to be in numerous places all over the building does not make it easy for me to do my job when I go to address an issue and realize that I need one of my tools or something in the storage room on the other side of the building.  This is why I have decided that I need a tool belt.   Yes, a tool belt.  I wish I was supplied with a tool belt.  This would save me so many walks back and forth across the building.  It takes so much time to walk back to my office to grab my screwdriver and back out to the warehouse or wherever it is I might be, not that I don’t enjoy the exercise, but some things need to get done in a hurry.  Inconvenient, is what it is. 

I could save so much time if I could carry all of my gadgets around with me.  Sure, I may look odd wearing my normal, every-day street clothes with a tool belt, but I would be efficient.  It would be so handy.  I bet I would get a lot of compliments, maybe even a raise, for how quickly I get work done. 

Now that I’m on the topic of being quick and efficient, I’ve got another request.  The warehouse has a concrete floor.  What would be a better way to get from one end of the warehouse to the other in 3.4 seconds than rollerblades?  A jet pack, but let’s be realistic, that’s not going to happen.  So I’ll settle for rollerblades.  I would even take a pair of shoes with wheels in the bottom that flip out when you want to skate.  Those might actually be more efficient, since I wouldn’t have to change my shoes to get around in the warehouse, unless I just wore the rollerblades all day long.  I would consider it.  I think it would be so fun to skate around all day.

Speaking of fun, I have one last request, for now.  I would like them to put a basketball hoop up in the warehouse so I could shoot hoops as I walk through (or skate through).  I would be thrilled.  I can see where they might think that this would cut into work, but I’m fine with them only letting employees use it if they’re on break.  I would actually start taking breaks then.  I think it would boost employee morale, and everyone would work harder, because they would be happier about being here. 

Okay, so maybe the basketball hoop is a little over-the-top, but at least give me a basketball to dribble while I’m walking around.  Is that so much to ask?  I think not.  It is quite possible that I have too much time on my hands if I’m thinking about playing basketball and skating around while at work, but I wouldn’t have all of this time if they would give me some skates and a basketball….


Imagine that girl wearing that belt.  Yeah, I could make it look good.



I could work on my dunking skills, but I'm sure I would look better than this guy

No comments:

Post a Comment